Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Charleston

Peter and I went to Charleston for Memorial day weekend-the Spoleto festival was going on and I got to enter a couple of pictures in an art show.  We also visited the market where people from the past 200 years would come to shop-there were no slaves sold there but people did send their slaves to buy food and other stuff there as well-of course now it is used as a flea market.  I love shopping for bargains and I got a pearl ring for $5.  We did go to the slave museum-it is a shame that people thought it was acceptable at one time to own another human being and make them work for you. Peter said some of his ancesators had own slaves something he is not proud of.  I like to think slavery would have ended on his own when the ecomony changed from farming to industry but unfortunately it took a war the Civil War to end such an injustice. We took a boat ride to see where the Civil War started at Ft. Sumpter.  Peter is a history buff so really enjoys visiting historical sites.  We also went to Folly Beach and enjoyed the beautiful sunny weather and it is already hot and it is not technically summer yet so the ocean water felt good. It was good to get away for a romantic getaway plus I mixed some work with it as well with my art work.   

No comments:

Post a Comment